Saturday, September 15, 2012

Shooting Children

Well...not shooting children.  I mean taking pictures of children.  Except for kittens and puppies there is probably no cuter thing to take pictures of than children.  In fact, it's probably hard to get a bad picture of a kid as long as it's in focus.  There are a few things to keep in mind and they all apply to most types of photography as well. 

If it's your kid or grandchild then take as many pictures as you can.  You will undoubtedly think that all the shots are "keepers" and that everyone else will also think so.  I will caution that kids pictures are not nearly as compelling if you are not related to the subject.  That said, shoot away, but tell a story.  Always have the story in mind when shooting and try to get something in the shot to help tell the story.  Here are some examples from my portfolio.

Click on any picture for a larger image




I was at Marshall Park in uptown Charlotte last fall shooting an event when this little girl walked up.  I was instantly mesmerized by her outfit, so I snapped a few shots.  Only later did I remember that it was October 31st and she was, most likely, going trick-or-treating.  Without the costume, I would not have taken the shot.  Also the leaves on the ground let you know it is Autumn.















There used to be an old saying in vaudeville (younger readers will have to look up vaudeville in Wikipedia) that said "never work with children or animals".  Well I broke both rules with this shot.  I was shooting a birthday party and this little girl picked up the dog and asked me to take a picture of her.  The cool thing is that both her and the dog looked right in the camera.  This is one of my favorite kid and dog shots.














It's obvious what is going on here.  Christmas, presents, my grandson, funny hats.  The thing that makes this a good shot is that the story is obvious and the subject is well lit and colorful.


















 
My Grandson again with his Davy Crockett outfit.  The wrapping paper in the background tells the story.  I wish you could see the tail on the "coonskin" cap, but, you can't win them all.




















Visit my website: keithlewisphoto.com

 Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/KeithLewisPhotography

No comments:

Post a Comment