Friday, September 14, 2012

Right place...right time

Sometimes, when it comes to taking pictures, I would rather be lucky than good.  Now don't get me wrong, there is no substitute for technique.  You should know everything about your camera, how to use every menu and how to take great pictures.  You should pay attention to framing, balance, and color, but sometimes, there is no substitute for being in the right place at the right time.  Think about all the great photojournalists and the iconic photographs.  The ones we all remember.  Most of them were a split-second decision.  Shoot now or lose the shot.  They were all in the right place at the right time.   I like to take nature photos and quite often I am lucky rather than good.  There are those professionals that will lay in the grass for days to get that perfect shot of a mother bear and her cubs.  I'm not that professional.  I usually happen upon a cute or cool nature shot and then have to struggle to get my camera out and get the shot before the subject runs, or flies away.  Here are a few of my favorite nature shots where I happened to be in the right place at the right time.


Click on any picture for a larger image




I looked out my window and saw this squirrel eating corn.  The way he is sitting looks like he is mimicking the gargoyle.  He stayed put long enough for me to get the shot.









I was standing at my bedroom window trying to take a picture of a tufted titmouse without any luck, when, from out of nowhere there was a noise and an explosion of feathers.  A hawk had knocked a dove out of the air, he then held the dove down with his talons until the dove was dead, then he flew away with his dinner.  The whole thing took seconds and I had to focus and shoot through a window screen, but managed to get a couple of shots.  This is a pretty severe crop from a long way off and is blurry because of shooting through the screen, but still pretty cool.  You can see the feathers all over the ground. Nature is amazing, and I just happened to be there to see it.



I was sitting in my house near dark one evening, and the dogs start barking like crazy.  I looked across the street at the empty house and there are 4 deer grazing in the back yard behind the carport.  I grabbed my camera and my longest lens and snapped a couple of pictures from my front porch. I then decided to cross the street and try to get one shot before it got dark or they ran away.  As I walked up, they started to run away then they all stopped, and all 4 turned and looked right at me,  I snapped a few pictures and they ran away. It was like they were posing.





This hummingbird was sitting on the feeder.  He let me get within 10 feet and take several pictures.  Then he finished drinking and hummed away.













I happened to notice this dove, high up, in the end of a sawed off limb.  I got a ladder and managed to get this shot of her peeking out.













Another squirrel, this time basking in the sun on the deck railing.  Daring the dogs or me to chase him away.  I eased the door open and got one shot before he scurried off.












I'm usually in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I have learned a few things.  Keep your eyes open.  Always have your camera with you.  Shoot with confidence, you may only get one shot. 


Visit my website: keithlewisphoto.com

 Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/KeithLewisPhotography


No comments:

Post a Comment