Monday, September 10, 2012

Up close and personal



Close-up photography has always been a favorite of mine.  I remember as a kid getting as close to something as I could and then wonder why the fixed focus lens wouldn't work right and the image came out blurry.  I even tried to tape a camera to my microscope for a really close image but all I succeeded in was wasting film.  A few years later, I bought my first 35mm SLR and was able to focus manually.  This opened up a lot of shots, but the real leap was when I bought a set of 49mm close up lenses at Van Ness Camera in downtown Charlotte.  These little 1, 2 and 3X magnifiers were really cool.  You screw them onto the front of your lens like a filter and you can stack them for up to 6X magnification.  I spent lots of time shooting close-ups and even won a few contests "back in the day".  Digital cameras and modern macro lenses make this much easier now and I still love getting close.  Here are a few shots I took yesterday out in the back yard.

These pictures really need to be viewed large for maximum effect.  Click on the image to see them larger.


Click on any picture for a larger image.

  
This is a close-up of the bark on the side of an ash tree in my back yard.  The cragginess enhances the shadows and you can see the tiny bits of moss growing on the bark.  Must be the North side of the tree.










This is a piece of rusty old chain hanging from the same tree as above.  I converted it to black & white in lightroom.  I like how the pitting in the metal of the chain stands out.



















I don't know what you call these tiny flowers but there are a lot of them in my yard.  I guess most people would call them weeds.  I laid on my stomach in the grass to get this shot.  One thing to keep in mind here is that each of the yellow petals on the flowers is smaller than a grain of rice.







This is just a shot of my left hand.  I was testing focus and took several like this.  I was playing around with the image and converted it to B&W and actually liked it.  My wife likes it because it shows my wedding ring.  If anybody is a palm reader, let me know if I should be worried about something.







Mosquito larvae in some water trapped on a leaf.  These little guys were squirming all over the place.  They are only about a quarter inch long but will soon grow into the pests we all hate.  I don't know why the birds don't eat them.




Click any picture for a larger image





This is moss on the inside edge of the bird bath.  If you squint hard, I think it kind of looks like a rocky shoreline in Ireland.











 Visit my website: keithlewisphoto.com

 Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/KeithLewisPhotography



No comments:

Post a Comment