Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day one...number one...I have arrived

Well, you've done it.  You managed to stumble across the hottest photography blog on the internet.  Pay no attention to the fact that there are almost no followers yet.  This is a temporary condition soon to be corrected.  All I have to do is get people to come here and read my many words of photographic wisdom.  Heck, I may even talk about something other than photography once in a while.  Let's start with the easy stuff.

I'm Keith Lewis and I own Keith Lewis Photography in Charlotte, NC.  I have been taking pictures forever, literally... My first foray into the photographic arts was when I was about 8 years old and got a little Kodak 120 or 220 black and white camera.  I would shoot the roll of film and beg my Mother to send it off for developing.  Then the wait began.  You got your next roll of film when you got your pictures back so I was dead in the water until I got the envelope with my pictures, mostly our dogs and cats and the occasional snake or tree, and that new roll of film,  I even loved the smell of it.  A few years later I graduated to a Kodak 126.  It had the black plastic cartridge with the film in it and I soon learned how to break open the cartridge and pull the film out and develop it myself.  I had my own darkroom soon afterwards in my Mother's spare bathroom.  I was always working to make money so I could buy more equipment.  Mowing lawns, washing cars and working with my Dad, I soon was able to put a new 35mm camera on layaway at K-Mart.  Fast forward through many camera, lenses, thousands of rolls of film, weddings, contests, Camera Clubs, 35mm, medium format, view cameras, and you come to the digital age.  I resisted digital initially but have fully embraced it now and continued to be awed by the flexibility and raw potential of the medium.  So having retired from "corporate America" I am jumping in the water to fulfill a lifelong dream of giving myself completely to this passion.  Keith Lewis Photography is my company, click the link to check out my website:. keithlewisphotography  

I will be giving all kinds of photography tips on this blog along with musings and opinions on photography, people, and business in general.  I also expect to do product reviews of cameras, lenses, gadgets, and all manner of equipment, new and old.

For the self-portrait above I used a Nikon D-90 on a tripod with a remote control trigger.  The camera was set on manual mode at 1/60 and f13, ISO 200.  I used 2 Nikon SB600 Speedgun electronic flash units on light stands.  One flash camera right with no diffusion and the other one high camera left pointed down to highlight the right side of my hair.  The "Hair light" had a snoot on it and if you don't know what a snoot is you will have to come back another day and find out.  The remote flash units were triggered by the built in commander on the D-90 which is a neat feature but has its limitations.

For more information about anything you have read here, including technical stuff, gadget recommendations, more about me and my business, or to just say hi, send me an e-mail  E-Mail



No comments:

Post a Comment