Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Keep your eyes open



I am always looking for photo opportunities.  At least that's what I tell people.  The truth is I probably miss hundreds of great shots every day simply because I don't see them.  I see them but I don't see them.  You know what I mean.  Have you ever pulled up to the store or gas station only to realize you don't remember a thing about the trip?  Throw cellphones, the radio and a kid or friend into the mix and it's a wonder we see anything.  Here is an exercise you can do.  Try scanning an area and describe the scene to yourself.  Silently, unless you want to be carried away by men in white suits.  As you are consciously looking at the scene and noticing everything about it, think about what would make a good photo.  Look at different angles.  Notice how the sun or streetlights fall on the scene creating shadows.  How do the colors look?  is there anything that looks really interesting?  Anything that won't be there next week like snow, leaves, standing water?  Then get your camera and shoot a ton of shots.  What is the big deal if nothing is all that good?  What have you wasted?  An hour spent developing your eye?  it's not like you will have $40 invested in film. 

 Click photo for larger image
 I was doing a shoot just a mile or two from uptown Charlotte.  I walked all around the parking lot of the building I was shooting, taking pictures this way and that, trying to line up the perfect shot.  Then as I was getting ready to put up my equipment, I scanned the scene one more time and noticed this old shed sitting off to one side.  I hadn't noticed it before but I must have walked past it fifty times.  It obviously was not being used and would probably be torn down, or fall down, soon.  The paint was old and flaky but still vibrant.  The sun was at a good angle so I just stood there and took several shots.  I was very pleased when I looked at the files to see how good the shed came out.  I almost walked right by with my "eyes closed"  It's a skill to "really see" and I envy anyone blessed with the natural skill.  I have to work at it but the good news is, anyone can develop their own eye.  Practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment