Thursday, August 30, 2012

Taking Inventory



I decided today to take inventory of my photography equipment.  It had been a while and I had read somewhere that you should periodically take stock of what you own.  I think this applies to most things in life, not just photography.  Most hobbies require some sort of gear and gadgets.  Heck, that's part of the reason for having a hobby -- all the neat gear.  I play guitar, and like photography, there certainly is no shortage of "must have" things to buy.  

I remember a few years ago, a friend of mine called me and nearly shouted into the phone "you've got to get a Gary Fong".  After I figured out what a Gary Fong was (it's a piece of plastic that attaches to your flash that diffuses the light and makes flattering portraits with no harsh shadows) I called my local camera shop and they had one in stock.  Luckily, I got there just moments before closing.  To be honest, I can't say the diffuser made me a better photographer.  I had always used an index card and rubber band before with decent results (I am old school).  So I shelled out $100 for what looked like something Tupperware sells to keep your produce fresh, and now I rarely use it.  

The point is that we accumulate things for our hobbies/life and sometimes it's good to take inventory.  Needless to say I filled up the table, several chairs and the hearth with photography equipment during my "inventory day".  Greg Easterbrook in his book, "Progress Paradox", coins a term that he calls "the ten hammer syndrome"  The idea is that we all have a hammer in our house.  One day you need the hammer but can't find it.  Into the car you hop and run to Lowe's or the corner hardware store to buy another hammer.  Fast forward two years, you need a hammer, even though you now own at least two you can't find one so you go buy one.  What's the big deal it only costs a few dollars?  Soon you own ten hammers and can't find any of them.  

I like taking inventory, laying my possessions out so I can see them feels good.  My wife calls it visiting your stuff.  I like the idea of visiting my stuff.  I think it's good for me...and the stuff. 

Visit my website: keithlewisphotography

E-mail me with comments or suggestions: keith@keithlewisphotography.com

1 comment:

  1. I like this ......I like "visiting your stuff" I do that and I enjoy it......kinda land marks of time. Thank for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete