Monday, February 10, 2014

I need a platform

It's rare that I get excited about a photography gadget.  Alright, you caught me, I'm lying.  I absolutely love all gadgets, gear, doo-dads, and kit associated with photography.  No matter how peripheral, if it's even near the fringe of photography, I'm a sucker for it.  Some of these gadgets are more worthy than others.  I could write a blog post just about the crazy stuff I have bought over the years that never lived up to the hype. (note to self...this is a good idea for a post)

I'm going to talk about 2 items today that I really really like.  OK, I'll admit it, I love them.

First is the Tripad workdesk  

This thing is pure genius.  One of those things that makes you slap your forehead and say "why didn't I think of that"


The Tripad is a well designed piece of lightweight carbon fiber reinforced plastic that slips down over the top of your tripod and makes a perfect height work desk.  It holds 10 pounds, goes together and installs on your tripod in literally 2 seconds.  Heck, it even has a cup-holder that slides out and holds a Starbucks Venti Latte perfectly.




I shoot tethered quite a bit and there is always the issue of where to put your laptop.  Of course you can use a table or desk and that's what I used to do.  With a 15' cable it works ok, but you have to lug the table with you to any on-location shoot and you are always moving between the camera, the tripod and the table with your laptop on it to check your work.








This gem solves the problem brilliantly.  (Have I mentioned that I love this product)































I'm sure there are some drawbacks but can't really think of any.  It is a little pricey for a piece of plastic, $65 on Amazon, but well worth it if you shoot tethered, even occasionally.


Next is the Hoodman Hoodloupe

Professionally I shoot a lot of products.  As I said earlier, I usually shoot tethered.  The Hoodloupe is a small loupe that comes in a neat little padded case and hangs on a cord around your neck.  




It allows you to see very clearly, a magnified view of the photo you just took.  It is designed to be used on the LCD screen on the back of your camera and works equally well for shooting video.  You can see exactly how sharp your photos are and if the focus is on the right part of the photo.  It is totally diopter adjustable so even if you wear reading glasses like me, you can dial it in perfectly.  





 

I use it on the screen of my laptop when shooting tethered as well as the LCD camera screen when I am shooting without my laptop.

This is the type of thing that you don't really need, but I will say that I would miss it if I didn't have it.  Cost is about $80 new for the Hoodman brand, but you can find knock-offs for a lot less.  







I bought mine used for next to nothing, so keep your eyes open and always be on the lookout for a bargain.











E-mail with questions, comments, or to tell me about a gadget that I must have:

        keith@keithlewisphoto.com
 

Visit my website: keithlewisphoto.com

 Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/KeithLewisPhotography

 Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KeithLewisPhoto

Find me on Thumbtack 

No comments:

Post a Comment