Thursday, November 7, 2013

Faces in the Crowd

There is something about a face that is compelling.  From Helen of Troy (her face launched a thousand ships) to the guy that bags your groceries at Whole Foods, they are all different and all interesting.  

So often it seems that we walk through life not looking at each other.  Take a look at the supermarket or doctor's office or your favorite restaurant.  More often than not, everybody you see has their head down and their eyes fixated, no, more like mesmerized by some type of electronic device, usually a phone.  We look down, we gaze into the oracle, expecting what?  The meaning of life?  Winning lottery numbers?  Nope, usually just an e-mail or text, or the latest instagram of your best friend's cute kid.  

My wife, who has a lovely face of her own, I might add, is a watcher of faces.  When she takes photographs, they are most likely to be of people and there are usually some very interesting faces in there. Taking a cue from her, I decided to put together a few faces that I shot this year.  

Looking through the archives I find that I really don't have a lot of interesting faces.  I plan to change that next year.  I plan to take walks and look for people.  I'm going to keep my head up and my camera with me.  

It looks like 2014 will be the year of the face for me.  In the meantime, take a look at these faces from 2013.

Click on any picture for a larger image:














Next time you are out and about, look up and see what you can see in the faces of others.  Take a tip from my wife -- smile and speak to every person you meet.  It's amazing to see how the grin lights up the face of the grocery bagger when you say "Hi, how are you doing?" and actually mean it, and actually listen to his answer.


E-mail with questions, comments, thoughts or rants:

        keith@keithlewisphoto.com
 

Visit my website: keithlewisphoto.com

 Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/KeithLewisPhotography

 Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KeithLewisPhoto

Find me on Thumbtack 

No comments:

Post a Comment