Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Main Street USA

 I was shooting a job for a client this week in Davidson, NC. and needed a few "general" pictures of downtown to add to the final package.  Except for the crazy busy traffic, downtown Davidson is a quintessential small American town.  I was there right about 5:00 PM on a weekday so, understandably, there was quite a bit of traffic.  It was, however, heavier than I expected.  This little area of North Carolina's Mecklenburg County is obviously a very popular place to live and work.

  Anchored since 1837 by Davidson College, Davidson, NC has, until recently, always been a very small, very quiet southern town mostly inhabited by college kids, professors, lifelong, mostly agrarian, residents, and lots of cows.  In the last 20 or so years, this region has become a favorite place to live with thousands upon thousands of houses and apartments built on hundreds of acres of former farm land.  Isn't it funny how success can often change a place?  I would imagine that the business owners on main street would be happy, but when I spoke to a couple, the opposite seemed to be the case.  One owner told me that business is OK but not great.  She said that all the traffic makes it hard for people that want to come and the usually full, on-street parking drives a lot of people away.  She said that all of the new residents have caused a building boom bringing stores of all types with lots of convenient parking just a few minutes away.  

 The double edged sword of progress cuts in many directions.  I suggest that you take the time to explore small-town America before it's too late.  Wherever you live, seek out the closest main street and take a stroll.

Here are some of the pictures from my walk in Davidson, NC

click on any picture for a larger image









































e-mail me with comments or suggestions:   keith@keithlewisphoto.com
 

Visit my website: keithlewisphoto.com

 Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/KeithLewisPhotography

 Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KeithLewisPhoto

Find me on Thumbtack 

No comments:

Post a Comment